Transactions ‘New Series’. Volume 20
Volume XX, Part I
- Dynes Hall, Great Maplestead. By C F D Sperling, M.A., F.S.A. … 1
- The Testament and Last Will of Elizabeth, widow of John de Vere, Thirteenth Earl of Oxford. By H W Lewer, F.S.A. … 7
- Old Instruments of Music portrayed in the Ecclesiastical Art of Essex. By the Rev Canon F W Galpin, M.A., F.L.S. … 17
- The Ruined Parish Church of Little Henny. By F H Fairweather, O.B.E., M.D., F.S.A. … 33
- The Thurrocks. By the late J H Round, M.A., L.L.D. … 41
- A Roman Military Diploma discovered in Colchester. By M R Hull, M.A. … 47
- Fingringhoe Wills, A.D.1400 to A.D.1550. By the Rev G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A. … 51
- The Ancient Stained Glass at Lindsell Church. By Bernard Rackham, M.A., F.S.A. … 73
- A Collection of Essex Deeds at Queen’s College, Cambridge. By the Rev J F Williams, M.A., F.S.A. … 78
- Wall-paintings in Essex Churches. III. Wall-paintings in Walter Belchamp [Belchamp Walter]. By the Rev G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A. … 86
Archaeological Notes … 95
- Lesteneston or Harberts in Rayleigh. By Percy H Reaney, M.A.
- Ecclesiastical Embroidery associated with Elizabeth, countess of Oxford: early XVIth century. By the Rev. G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A.
- Early Essex Windmills. By Percy H Reaney, M.A.
- West Alpine and Hallstatt Site at Southchurch. By A G Francis, O.B.E., B.A., F.S.A.
- Honywand. By Percy H Reaney, M.A.
- Fingringhoe: (1) Tidal-mill; (2) Ballast Quay. By the Rev. G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A.
- Notes on the Pedigree of Lucy of OngarIn Memoriam: Christopher William Parker, M.A., D.L., J.P. … 107
Publications … 108
- The Battle and Song of Maldon. By H J Rowles, B.A.
- History of Bradwell-on-Sea, Essex. By Herbert Brown
- Little Baddow Congregational Church: a Brief History. By E Eldred Marks
- Essex Survivals, with special attention to Essex Smugglers. By Fred Roe, R.I.
- Transactions of the Southend-on-Sea Antiquarian and Historical Society.
- The Story of Messing. By William Goldsborough Whittam
- Palaeography, Genealogy and Topography. Selections from the Collection of H R Moulton
- Audley Pedigrees. Compiled for George Audley by Aleyn Lyell Reade
- General Index to the Essex Review. Edited by W Gurney Benham, F.S.A.
- The Essex Militia. By J W Burrows, F.S.A.
- Ancient Church Chests and Chairs. By Fred Roe, R.I.
- The Township of Hatfield Peverel. By T M Hope
- Monumental Inscriptions, Walthamstow: Section A
- Manorial Documents of New College, Oxford. Compiled by T F Hobson, F.S.A., M.A.
- A History of Writtle Church. By John Henry Upton, B.A., M.M.
Winter Meetings at Braintree, Chelmsford and Colchester … 116
Annual General Meeting of the Essex Archaeological Society, at the Town Hall, Colchester, on Thursday, 1 May, 1930 … 124
Report for 1929 … 129
Balance Sheet for 1929 … 132
Special Meeting and Excursion, Saturday, 28 June, 1930 … 134
Quarterly Meeting and Excursion, Thursday, 17 July, 1930 … 135
Quarterly Meeting and Excursion, Thursday, 18 September, 1930 … 140
New Members … 143
Donations to the Society … 146
Volume XX, Part II
- The De Tanys of Stapleford Tawney. By L R Buttle, B.A. … 153
- The Extent of Lawling, A.D.1310. By John F Nichols, M.A., Ph.D., F.S.A. … 173
- Admissions to Essex Livings by the ‘Triers’. By the Rev Harold Smith, D.D. … 199
- Further Finds from the Roman Pottery Shop in Colchester. By M R Hull, M.A. … 211
- Visitations held in the Archdeaconry of Essex in 1684. By the Rev W J Pressey, M.A., F.S.A. … 216
- Wall-paintings in Essex Churches. IV: Wall-paintings formerly in the Churches of Dovercourt and Hazeleigh. By the Rev G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A. … 243
- Two Roman Sites at Finchingfield. By J G Covernton, M.A., C.I.E. … 248
- The Mantels of Little Maldon. By the late J H Round, M.A., L.L.D. … 254
- Fingringhoe Bridge. By the Rev G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A. … 262
- Camulodunum: Excavations at Colchester, 1930-31. By Christopher Hawkes, B.A., F.S.A. … 270
Archaeological Notes … 276
- “On the sorete syde of the howse”. By Alfred Hills, M.A.
- Pedigree of Lucy of Ongar
- Essex Quarter Sessions Records
- Dedication of Copford Church. By the Rev. G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A.
- Monumental Brasses at South Weald and Leyton. By Walter E Gawthorp, F.S.A.Scot.
- Duvy Falls in Hornchurch. By Percy H Reaney, M.A., Ph.D.
- Pass, dated 30 November, 1590, for John Smith of Bocking. By the Rev. G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A.
- Early Essex Windmills. By Percy H Reaney, M.A., Ph.D.
- Carved wooden ‘Agnus Dei’ in Saffron Walden Museum. By the Rev. G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A.
- Essex Chapels. By Percy H Reaney, M.A., Ph.D.
- Inhumation Burials of the Roman period discovered at Colchester. By E J Rudsdale
- Great Birch Old Church. By the Rev. G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A.
- Essex Deeds in Edinburgh. By Percy H Reaney, M.A., Ph.D.
- Painted Doors at Great Bromley Church. By the Rev. G Montagu Benton, M.A., F.S.A.
- The East Hanningfield Wall Paintings
- Court Rolls of Nazing and Waltham Holy Cross
- A Painted Font in Great Maplestead Church. By Philip Mainwaring Johnston, F.S.A., F.R.I.B.A.
In Memoriam: William Goodwin Wiles … 302
Publications … 303
- The Place-Names of Walthamstow. By P H Reaney, M.A.
- Walthamstow Marriages (1650-1837). By George Edward Roebuck
- Pigeon Cotes and Dove Houses of Essex. By Donald Smith
- Thomas Tusser: His Good Points of Husbandry. Edited by Dorothy Hartley
- The Essex Regiment (1st Battalion). By John William Burrows, F.S.A.
- Prints, Paintings and Drawings of the Rochford Hundred. By Robert W Higgs, F.L.A.
- Pamphlets etc.
Winter Meetings at Chelmsford and Colchester … 308
Annual General Meeting of the Essex Archaeological Society, at the Town Hall, Colchester, on Wednesday, 6 May, 1931 … 311
Report for 1930 … 315
Balance Sheet for 1930 … 320
Special Meeting and Excursion, Saturday, 27 June, 1931 … 322
Quarterly Meeting and Excursion, Wednesday, 22 July, 1931 … 324
Quarterly Meeting and Excursion, Thursday 10 September, 1931 … 327
New Members … 333
Donations to the Society … 335