Colchester Museum Reports

When the Society was formed in 1852, one of its key objectives was to create a museum where it could hold its collections. Colchester Museum was founded within Colchester Castle in 1860 and holds one of the best collections of Roman Britain outside London. Annual reports were written up by the committee listing the new finds and donations to the museum as well as other noteworthy events such as the installation of electric light and a visit from members of the Royal Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland who were "much impressed by the fine collection of Romano-British antiquities" in 1908.

Colchester Museum is now in the sole ownership of the Colchester Borough Council. The Society is proud if its association with the Museum, and publishes here a series of past Annual Reports.

Colchester Museum Report 1907 to 1910

Medieval pottery found in Magdalen Street

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1907 to 1910 (14MB)

Colchester Museum Report 1911 to 1914

Tudor wall painting with flowers

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1911 to 1914 (16MB)

 

Colchester Museum - The Norman Crypt

 

Colchester Museum Report 1915 to 1918

Model of a pedlar woman

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1915 to 1918 (10MB)

Colchester Museum Report 1919 to 1923

Large Spirit Cask or Tun

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1919 to 1923 (14MB)

Colchester Museum Report 1924 to 1926

Cinerary Urn from late bronze age cemetary

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1924 to 1926 (13MB)

Colchester Museum Report 1927 to 1930

Samian Ware

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1927 to 1930 (29MB)

Colchester Museum Report 1931 to 1937

Museum stand at the British Empire Fair

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1931 to 1937 (34MB)

Colchester Museum Report 1938 to 1954

The Colchester Mercury

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1938 to 1954 (13MB)

Colchester Museum Report 1960 to 1974

cm60 74 sm

View and download Colchester Museum Report 1960 to 1974 (39MB)

Last modified on Friday, 13 October 2017 21:48
© 2016 Essex Society for Archaeology and History. All Rights Reserved. Registered Charity No. 213218